A note on how to browse this blog and (perhaps) avoid confusion

Welcome!
As written in the very first post, when I started this project I wasn't very familiar with the process of setting up a blog. As I built it some bits were successful and ended up looking the way I expected, others... less!
Please refer to the Blog Archive in the menu bar on the right to better explore this blog. Posts often have descriptive titles, namely: - "On the field" entries refer to my random explorations of Oxfordshire -- and beyond. - "FolkRec" posts feature my (rigorously non-professional) folk recordings. - "Flowchart" entries display attempts to use the concept of flowcharts to describe aspects of life -- decisions, indecisions and resolutions. - "ScienceCom" posts focus on the themes of science communication and education. Unclassified entries are labelled in this way for a reason: they are totally random in content.
Please do leave comments if you fancy.
Thank you!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Not all those who wander are lost

This sentence has been lingering in my mind for a while. It comes from the "Lord of The Rings" by J. R. R. Tolkien, if I am not mistaken - I haven't read the books yet, but I do know this one bit. I suppose it caught my attention when I read it recently - on an advert, sadly - because it does describe very well how events in life sometimes seem to link to one another and form an oddly shaped, complex and fragile chain where luck, initiative and curiosity all find their places and times to come into play.
For instance, one may go to a café (without having planned to) and discover that Mary Hampton is in town for a concert - then one walks to Cowley and discovers the "Old Boot Factory"... Which is indeed a factory, or well, was one and is now turned into a sort of post-industrial music hall.
Despite the cold and windy weather I thoroughly enjoyed the concert, and I was so fond of the music I heard that I eventually bought "Folly", the album that Mary Hampton and her Cotillion released last year.
A song, "No. 32", is based on a poem by Emily Dickinson that I found extremely beautiful:

I died for beauty but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed,
"For beauty" I replied.

"And I for truth, the two are one;
We brethren are." He said.

And so kinsmen met a night
We talked between the rooms
Until the moss had reached our lips
And covered up our names.

No comments:

Post a Comment