A note on how to browse this blog and (perhaps) avoid confusion

Welcome!
As written in the very first post, when I started this project I wasn't very familiar with the process of setting up a blog. As I built it some bits were successful and ended up looking the way I expected, others... less!
Please refer to the Blog Archive in the menu bar on the right to better explore this blog. Posts often have descriptive titles, namely: - "On the field" entries refer to my random explorations of Oxfordshire -- and beyond. - "FolkRec" posts feature my (rigorously non-professional) folk recordings. - "Flowchart" entries display attempts to use the concept of flowcharts to describe aspects of life -- decisions, indecisions and resolutions. - "ScienceCom" posts focus on the themes of science communication and education. Unclassified entries are labelled in this way for a reason: they are totally random in content.
Please do leave comments if you fancy.
Thank you!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

FolkRec - Auprès de ma blonde


This traditional French song is also known as "Le prisonnier de la Hollande", and according to Wikipedia it dates back to the 17th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aupr%C3%A8s_de_ma_blonde). I think it might have been composed as a military song; through the centuries a few alternative versions appeared, and now the song is also a popular nursery rhyme.

At the Cambridge Folk Festival I had the chance to discover Olivia Chaney, who writes and sings beautiful songs: I then stumbled upon her version of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2izR3fN_U) - mine is slightly different (I played a bit with the words so that they make sense to me and yes, I played with ornamentation as well!), but I have to thank Olivia Chaney for teaching me this tune from a distance, so to speak.

Enjoy and do not fall asleep if you can! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment