A note on how to browse this blog and (perhaps) avoid confusion

Welcome!
As written in the very first post, when I started this project I wasn't very familiar with the process of setting up a blog. As I built it some bits were successful and ended up looking the way I expected, others... less!
Please refer to the Blog Archive in the menu bar on the right to better explore this blog. Posts often have descriptive titles, namely: - "On the field" entries refer to my random explorations of Oxfordshire -- and beyond. - "FolkRec" posts feature my (rigorously non-professional) folk recordings. - "Flowchart" entries display attempts to use the concept of flowcharts to describe aspects of life -- decisions, indecisions and resolutions. - "ScienceCom" posts focus on the themes of science communication and education. Unclassified entries are labelled in this way for a reason: they are totally random in content.
Please do leave comments if you fancy.
Thank you!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

FolkRec - My Donald


This song is quite special to me. I learnt it about three years ago from a record by the Unthanks; I remember that I instantly loved the tune, but I quickly felt that I wouldn't have been able to sing it that way. For this reason this is the first song that I worked on "to make it my own", so to speak, instead of "just learning it properly" (I do love quotation marks, yes). The singing is not as accurate as I normally like it to be, but I've been tweaking this tune for such a long time - sometimes I would focus on the technique, some other times I would worry about how to tell this story so that it would actually mean something. I recorded this 2012 version at night, sitting in my room and trying to sing very quietly not to wake up anyone, so... Take it as a field recording, if you can. :) As usual, feedback and comments are most welcome! Last but not least, apologies for taking me so long to finally add some more music to the blog - I guess I was too busy going around bluebell woods, you see... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment