A note on how to browse this blog and (perhaps) avoid confusion

Welcome!
As written in the very first post, when I started this project I wasn't very familiar with the process of setting up a blog. As I built it some bits were successful and ended up looking the way I expected, others... less!
Please refer to the Blog Archive in the menu bar on the right to better explore this blog. Posts often have descriptive titles, namely: - "On the field" entries refer to my random explorations of Oxfordshire -- and beyond. - "FolkRec" posts feature my (rigorously non-professional) folk recordings. - "Flowchart" entries display attempts to use the concept of flowcharts to describe aspects of life -- decisions, indecisions and resolutions. - "ScienceCom" posts focus on the themes of science communication and education. Unclassified entries are labelled in this way for a reason: they are totally random in content.
Please do leave comments if you fancy.
Thank you!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

On the field #3 - The Harcourt Arboretum


Since I suspect it may be difficult to read what is written on the white board in the photo above, let me add a brief introduction to this post: I took this picture during a recent visit to the "Harcourt Arboretum", which is, as the website explains, "an integral part of the plant collection of the [University of Oxford] Botanic Garden" (http://www.botanic-garden.ox.ac.uk/Harcourt/obg-harcourt-intro.html).

Flowers on an ash tree.
This magnificent estate is located South of Oxford in a small town called Nuneham Courteney; according to the guide who took us around it extends over around 130 acres - about 53 hectares, if you prefer these units. I arrived there at 6pm, and before spotting the white board I had an unexpected and relatively close encounter with a colourful peacock. During the walk we also chanced to see rabbits and deer. This was all very interesting but, needless to say, trees are the true attraction. There are oaks that are thought to be around 300 years old; beautiful ash trees, rowan and hazel trees, cherry and apple trees as well as holly bushes and nettles. Ah! I found out that the latter are delicious food for caterpillars and thus a promising sign towards a season rich in butterflies, too. :)

And then there is the "Bluebell Wood" - words fail me here, to be honest. The wood itself is somptuous; bluebells make it look almost eerie.
I suggest checking the website for a complete list of seminars, walks and workshops that take place both on the main site (on the High Street, just opposite to Magdalen College) and in Nuneham Courteney throughout the year. It is worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment