A note on how to browse this blog and (perhaps) avoid confusion

Welcome!
As written in the very first post, when I started this project I wasn't very familiar with the process of setting up a blog. As I built it some bits were successful and ended up looking the way I expected, others... less!
Please refer to the Blog Archive in the menu bar on the right to better explore this blog. Posts often have descriptive titles, namely: - "On the field" entries refer to my random explorations of Oxfordshire -- and beyond. - "FolkRec" posts feature my (rigorously non-professional) folk recordings. - "Flowchart" entries display attempts to use the concept of flowcharts to describe aspects of life -- decisions, indecisions and resolutions. - "ScienceCom" posts focus on the themes of science communication and education. Unclassified entries are labelled in this way for a reason: they are totally random in content.
Please do leave comments if you fancy.
Thank you!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

FolkRec - Bright Morning Stars Are Rising


I only know two versions of this song - one is by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, the other one is by Anaïs Mitchell (who sings it with two other people whose names I don't know - apologies). I initially memorised the first verse - and would sing it in a sort of loop... ! The full lyrics are the following:

Bright morning stars are rising
Bright morning stars are rising
Bright morning stars are rising
Day is a-breaking in my soul

Oh where are our dear fathers
Oh where are our dear fathers
They’re down in the valley a-praying
Day is a-breaking in my soul

Oh where are our dear mothers
Oh where are our dear mothers
They’ve gone to heaven a-shouting
Day is a-breaking in my soul

Bright morning stars are rising
Bright morning stars are rising
Bright morning stars are rising
Day is a-breaking in my soul


I remember I was struck by this one verse, where "mothers have gone to heaven" shouting... I thought it was a strong image, and wondered about the origin and true meaning of it. At some point I convinced myself that it had to refer to mothers who would die after they gave birth to their child, but I admit it - it's an adventurous explanation. Also, I knew the song was American traditional - nothing more. I recently looked for additional information and found this web page: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=89700. So, it looks like the song comes the Appalachian region in North America; there seems to be a lively debate as to how old it is, and an even more fervent discussion as to whether it is a Christian song or not (the somehow religious content is, I think, rather obvious, but I do agree with the people who claim that it doesn't really sound Christian). If you scroll down the wbe page, you'll also find alternative lyrics - I was particularly interested in one version where "mothers" are praying while "fathers" are in heaven! Oral tradition - you never know what to expect. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I am very interested in the song. To me the lyrics signify a dawning of consciousness, enlightenment if you will. The harmonies and note choices are extraordinary and unexpected. A note or two above or below what the typical western ear would expect but beautifully fitting and heavenly. I too have been searching for more of it's origins because I feel the author must have attained the absolute.
    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wailin' Jennys also have a great version... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fq6lCcAkpU

    The Anais Mitchell version that you mentioned features Rachel Ries and Jefferson Hamer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsKxjEQk6xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent version recorded by the Red Clay Ramblers of Chapel Hill, NC

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://soundcloud.com/doriankelly/bright-morning-stars-ttbb

    ReplyDelete